nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Root sprouts-- Hybrid Plums.

  • From: Jwlehman@aol.com
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Root sprouts-- Hybrid Plums.
  • Date: Sun, 14 May 2006 18:47:09 EDT

In a message dated 5/14/2006 4:00:24 PM Eastern Standard Time, garuda2@comcast.net writes:

I have in my front yard Kahinta, Toka, and Tecumseh.   And about 6
"rootsprouts"  now about  30" tall, unbranched.

I am thinking these will be true to one of the plum types,  that the
plums I plkanted are cloned, not grafted.  Or am I wrong ?  Would there
be any reason to use them as rootstock material, or should I just let
them do their thing??

Hi Karen,

This answer is guess work based on my limited knowledge of plums. If you purchased them with a variety name they are most likely grafted, or should be if a reputable nursery sold them. A very common understock for plum is Prunus Cerasifera, or myrobalan. This understock, P cerasifera, suckers badly. Look closely at the leaves of the suckers and plums. The same is true for some other understocks. The difference is readily seen, so if different they are likely understock.

Jerry

  • Re: [NAFEX] Root sprouts-- Hybrid Plums., Jwlehman, 05/14/2006