nafex - [NAFEX] currant stem borers

  • From: list@ginda.us
  • To: NAFEX <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] currant stem borers
  • Date: Thu, 4 May 2006 22:23:40 -0400

Every year I lose a few canes on my red currants. It's often plump young canes that die over the winter, and if I cut them off halfway, the pith is gone, so I would guess it's some sort of stem-boring insect. I've ignored it in the past, and just cut off the dead canes in the spring - sort of letting the insects chose my pruning strategy - but the problem seems to be getting worse.

I had a much more serious problem with raspberry cane borers a few years ago, and I seem to have solved it by careful hygiene - removing canes as soon as they show signs of wilt below the level of the bugs, and disposing of the prunings away from my plants. So I wonder if I ought to address the currant bugs the same way.

Does anyone know at what time of year they hatch? Is it late in the season enough that I can reliably tell which stems will sprout and which are affected? Is there any other sign of affliction that I should look for as an earlier warning?

thanks,
Ginda Fisher