nafex - [NAFEX] Peach Disease or Insects?

  • From: mauch1@aol.com
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Peach Disease or Insects?
  • Date: Mon, 01 May 2006 12:00:54 -0400

 <<How did anything ever survive before the discovery of chemical sprays?>>

Well at least in the case of apples, before the advent of organophosphates, I believe many
were spraying something like lead-arsenate.

Before the development of those sprays (i.e. pre 20th? Century) I'm not sure what was used.
As noted we've had some recent bug imports which make the problems more difficult.  I think
pre-Prohibition most apples were processed or made into cider.

Anyone have more accurate information?

Thanks,

Chris Mauchline
SE PA, zone 6