nafex - [NAFEX] Soilless Mix

  • From: "Thomas Olenio" <tolenio@sentex.net>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Soilless Mix
  • Date: Tue, 18 Apr 2006 08:36:36 -0400

Hello,

I have been looking at the ratios for soilless mix and I have a question. I use soilless mix for growing out currant seedlings.

The ratios look like this;

a) Two parts peat, one part perlite, one part coarse sand.

b) Two parts peat, one part coarse sand.

c) One part peat, one part coarse sand, one part pine bark.

d) One part peat, one part pine bark, one part perlite.

Why are the ratios limited to "pine" bark? I have a pile of old maple chippings that are closer to compost than wood, and I wonder if any OLD wood chips would work in a soilless mix?

Thanks,
Tom