nafex - Re: [NAFEX] paw paw advice

  • From: Mark River <mark@markriver.com>
  • To: <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] paw paw advice
  • Date: Sun, 16 Apr 2006 14:23:24 -0700

Diane - since you live in SE Iowa I would recommend Red Fern Farm in eastern Iowa as a good source for your grafted pawpaws (redfernfarm.com).  Their varieties may be somewhat limited but you can pick up potted plants from their nursery.  The 2 potted pawpaws that I picked up from them last year on my way back from Chicago got off to a faster start than my bareroot trees.  They also have seedlings for sale.  The 2 other pawpaws in my orchard I bought from Neal Peterson (petersonpawpaws.com) which is what I would recommend if you decide to buy bareroot trees.  His website has some great background info on pawpaws, as does Lee Reich's book "Uncommon Fruits for Every Garden."  Best of luck!

Mark River
Zone 5a, Western Iowa