nafex - [NAFEX] grafting apples

  • From: list@ginda.us
  • To: NAFEX <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] grafting apples
  • Date: Thu, 13 Apr 2006 21:04:58 -0400

I planted three baby apple trees last spring. One is a golden russet on G30, which I bought because I wanted to try out G30, and that was what was available. (A single tree is cheaper than a bundle of rootstock, and besides, I find it hard to throw live plants away.) So I'd like to graft some Karmijn onto that tree. I was thinking I'd try budding this summer. Any advice would be welcome, including "don't do it, graft a branch", or "G30 is ultrasensitive to viruses and you shouldn't mess with it", or just suggestions as to the best time of year and technique.

Thanks,
Ginda Fisher
eastern Mass., zone 6
where an abnormally warm dry spring has the crabs showing flower buds and the eating apples in green tip already.

  • [NAFEX] grafting apples, list, 04/13/2006