nafex - [NAFEX] mouse story (was Mulching Fruit Trees)

  • From: "tanis cuff" <tanistanis@hotmail.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] mouse story (was Mulching Fruit Trees)
  • Date: Fri, 07 Apr 2006 13:54:19 +0000

White-footed mice, that is. They are 90% or more of what I trap indoors. The story is, all those nice apple & pear & even the Amelelanchier trays of seed were beginning to germinate. I was to be away for a long weekend in which night freezes were forecast. I opted to put the trays into a south- & west-lit room. I also snapped all the mousetraps, because I didn't want to return to 3-day dead mice, and I hadn't caught any in 6 weeks anyway.

I returned to trays 50% or more destroyed. Most of the emerged seedlings had the tops clipped off, and many dug holes where other seedlings should have been. Loss will probably be 75-80%-- BEFORE any losses to seedling blights.

And one dead white-footed mouse in the one trap I forgot to disable. I did not mourn its passing.