nafex - Re: [NAFEX] lime sulfur

  • From: "Stephen Sadler" <Docshiva@Docshiva.org>
  • To: "'North American Fruit Explorers'" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] lime sulfur
  • Date: Thu, 6 Apr 2006 12:56:58 -0700

I think your analysis of the problem is correct.  I’m unsure about your proposed treatment, and I look forward to hearing how it works out.  I don’t think any healthy tissue will grow back over, at least not from the trunk under the area.  Maybe at the margins, where you approach bark-covered areas.  Beneath the damage, you’ll chisel down closer to living tissue, maybe all the way down to it.  The surface may become firmer and dryer, and inhospitable to fungi; or you may open the tree to infections.  If you’re careful enough with the chisel to not cut into living tree, I don’t think it’s likely you would make things any worse, and you might make things better.

Good luck, and keep us posted!

Stephen Sadler, Ph.D.

USDA 9, AHS heat zone 8,

Sacramento CA - Mediterranean climate