nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Borers (in Elm) & ID? - IDENTIFIED

  • From: Peter Chrisbacher <pxbacher.ls@comcast.net>
  • To: friendly27sw@yahoo.com, nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Borers (in Elm) & ID? - IDENTIFIED
  • Date: Fri, 31 Mar 2006 14:27:35 -0500

I think John got it - the Banded Ash Borer, a native borer common to most of the US as well as eastern Canada.

Per a flyer from Utah State: "Hosts of the banded ash borer include ash, hickory, elm, mesquite and, occasionally, white oak. This species generally will not attack a healthy tree, but is attracted to dead, dying, diseased or stressed trees."

I'll let them do their thing - besides, the bluebirds seem to find them tasty :-)

Thanks all for the help.

Pete Chrisbacher
SE PA - Zone 6B

  • Re: [NAFEX] Borers (in Elm) & ID? - IDENTIFIED, Peter Chrisbacher, 03/31/2006