nafex - [NAFEX] apricot scion

  • From: "Michelle Horner" <shelly2@wi.rr.com>
  • To: "nafex" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] apricot scion
  • Date: Mon, 27 Mar 2006 13:02:10 -0600

Dear Group,
I was just out rooting around in the orchard and garden and find I have 3 apricot and three cherry rootstocks heeled in in pots that are still alive from 2 years ago.  They are in a neglected area, and the last I had check it looked like the bunnies had found their way into my chicken screen cages around them, so I had written off those rootstock.  I am delighted to find these 6 still viable but have not made any efforts toward scion woods.  Would anyone have some of the "Har" group that I could graft for my apricots?  That was the original reason I bought these rootstocks a couple of years ago.  The cherries I dream of hardy sweets, maybe some of the yellows so the birds do not recognize??  I call myself zone 4/5 here in SE Wis.  I have only 1 sweet cherry surviving; I think Golden Heart?  but it seems to get pollinated anyway.   I do only get eating off the tree numbers,  not enough to can or freeze.  I'm assuming some buddies around might help that situation too?

Thanks for any help.
Most sincerely,
Michelle Horner

  • [NAFEX] apricot scion, Michelle Horner, 03/27/2006