nafex - [NAFEX] Dormant oil on apples

  • From: list@ginda.us
  • To: NAFEX <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Dormant oil on apples
  • Date: Sat, 25 Mar 2006 20:23:01 -0500

I would like to spray my apples with dormant oil this year, in an attempt to kill some of the winter moth crop before it hatches. The bottle says not to spray if freezing or near freezing temps are expected, though, which might rule out the whole "dormant" season. Buds have begun to swell, but we are expecting night-time temps below freezing for some time.

What are the issues with dormant oil and freezing? Should I just give up on it? How arm should it be to use it, and how long should I expect the temp to be above freezing for it to be reasonably safe?

Thanks,
Ginda
eastern MA, zone 6