nafex - Re: [NAFEX] American Chestnut Budwood

  • From: Peter Chrisbacher <pxbacher.ls@comcast.net>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] American Chestnut Budwood
  • Date: Mon, 6 Mar 2006 00:00:04 -0500

I'm sure I could find some locally here in SE PA if you're stuck - there's plenty of it around - though it would take a bit of hunting given that the leaves are off.

Most C dentata here are suckers from blighted mature trees. They grow fine till they reach the age where their bark starts to "crack," and in a year or two become infected with the blight and die back to the roots.

Where are you located? Do you have blight where you are? Since I assume any local budwood I cut would have Cryphonectria (I prefered "Endothia") parasitica spores riding along, I would NOT be willing to post it anywhere that is blight-free.

Anyone know if there are any regulations pertaining to mailing of C dentata scions?

If you're in a blight-free area, perhaps there is someone who is also in a blight-free area who could send you some scions.

Pete Chrisbacher
SE PA - Zone 6B