nafex - [NAFEX] Retain Ethylene Inhibitor

  • From: John Raymond <jwraymon@yahoo.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Retain Ethylene Inhibitor
  • Date: Wed, 22 Feb 2006 18:31:33 -0800 (PST)

Does anyone have any experience with Retain, the ethylene inhibitor licensed by Valent?  I know its being studied by the apple industry in conjunction with MCP for delayed ripening, but my curiosity is more oriented in the direction of flower morphology.

Since other ethylene inhibitors like silver nitrate (thiosulfate) have been shown to induce staminate flower production in certain plants such cucumbers, melons, etc., might Retain also have potential in this respect?  There is an article online describing how Retain was used to alleviate pistillate flower abortion in the Serr walnut cultivar which is presumed to be due to excessive production of ethylene.

http://www.griffin.peachnet.edu/pgrsa/Charleston_PGRSA_Proceedings_2005/papers/062.pdf

My personal interest is whether it might have potential for forcing some degree of staminate flower conversion on female persimmon trees for the purposes of pollen harvesting.

- John

Yahoo! Mail