nafex - [NAFEX] Shipova rootstock

  • From: bassem@gardener.com
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Shipova rootstock
  • Date: Tue, 14 Feb 2006 14:09:27 -0800 (PST)

In the recent catalog of One green world, It's mentioned tha that they use a
dwarfing rootstock that will allow early fruiting for Shipova. I was amazed
that they use Aronia as a rootstock for Shipova. The only disadvantage to
that is a shorter life span.
I have few Shipovas grafted on Pyrus Betulifolia. This rootstock is usually
used in commercial orchards for Asian pears. I believe it's a full size, but
bears larger size pears, it's also well anchored.

Bass,
zone 6, Pa