nafex - [NAFEX] SeedSavers Exchange & Scionwood

  • From: martha_davis@highstream.net
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] SeedSavers Exchange & Scionwood
  • Date: Tue, 14 Feb 2006 14:11:30 -0500

Hello all

Seed savers exchange is another good organization that if we want it to
continue
to exist we have to support it. It's pretty much supported by individual
memberships ($20 per year). Their orchard is mostly heirloom apples but also
hardy kiwis and grapes if I remember correctly. When I was there very few of
them were in the fruit and nut inventory book. Only a few varieties of
scionwood are available this year through the exchange. It is possible to
visit
when the fruit is ripe. In some years sampling was OK, but check to be sure.
In
the past after a visit MidFex was able to arrange to obtain scionwood from
this
orchard, but I do not remember whether one of our members had permission and
collected it, or whether we had to pick it up, or whether they sent us the
requested material. I suspect that we should not inundate them with requests
this year, but should indicate interest for future years and make sure that
that they at least break even if not make a bit of money on scionwood. What
this is, is really a germplasm collection orchard and at least in the past
generated costs and not income.

Martha