nafex - [NAFEX] Shipova & Bagging Asian Pears

  • From: "Doreen Howard" <gardendiva@charter.net>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Shipova & Bagging Asian Pears
  • Date: Tue, 14 Feb 2006 10:40:52 -0600

Does anyone grow shipova? And, yes, Lee, I've read the chapter in your book on it! If you grow it, how much pruning do you do in late winter? From the looks of my tree and from what I've read, the scaffolds should grow wide on their own. Have you had to weigh down branches to achieve wide crotches or notch buds or anything else? Have you had problems with fire blight? BTW, my shipova is on dwarfing stock and has been in the ground almost a year. The theory is that is should fruit sooner than the normal 7-8 years.

My second question. Has anyone tried bagging Asian pears? The apple bagging experiment I did last year was 100 percent successful. I'm wondering if Asian pears will benefit, too.

Any and all advise is appreciated.
Doreen Howard