nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Reliance Peach/Meader Source

  • From: Heron Breen <breen@fedcoseeds.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Reliance Peach/Meader Source
  • Date: Mon, 06 Feb 2006 13:11:19 -0600

Hi Sam,
I am under the assumption that Reliance IS in the repository, but I also know
that
some Reliance strains available are actually from seedling offspring that
folks
used as sources for prop wood. While this is not wide spread, it is always
nice to
know that there are some "original" trees of a cultivar remaining propagated
by the
breeder his/her self. Elywn Meader was always adamant that his material be
added to
the general breeding reserves and always sent whatever he had to the various
repositories. John Meader assumes that whatever the repository is offering is
true
to name, but this may be a worthwhile audit of what's out in the hort/ag
world: One
can truly say, after comparing trees and fruits or doing one of many
sub-cellular
snoopings, that what is being offered to us all is what was originally
developed. I
am curious myself some of the long propagated heirlooms or older varieties.
If
there was a Northern Spy or Calville Blanc tree propagated from the original
tree,
it would be interesting to know how much has changed thru propagation or
which
strains were mislabelled or the closest. For me, it is also a chance to make
own-
root trees from an original fruiting source, which insures true-to-name. This
way,
when I find Reliance hardy or not hardy or fruit quality lacking or good, I
can
know first-hand that its 100% accurate info for my area. Just the type A in
me
making things complicated.
Definitely, if the repository is lacking, or if they are interested for
duplication's sake, which I will check on, I will send them material. Thanks
for
putting that in my bonnet, because I had not thought of checking with them.
sincerely,
Heron Breen
zone 4, Maine

On Mon Feb 6 11:48 , 'Brungardt, Sam' <Sam.Brungardt@state.mn.us> sent:

>Heron, it sounds as though either Reliance is not in the U.S. Germplasm
>Repository collection or its authenticity is in question. Do you know
>what the situation is, and have you given any thought to sharing with
>the repository? -- Sam Brungardt, St. Paul, Minn.

Behalf Of Heron Breen