nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Good tasting banana for a container

  • From: "Doreen Howard" <gardendiva@charter.net>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Good tasting banana for a container
  • Date: Sun, 5 Feb 2006 13:42:53 -0600

Title: Message
I had Raji Puri in the ground in Zone 9.  One winter we got down to 25F one night, and all the bananas died back to the ground.  However more pups sprouted from their extensive root systems.  Raji Puri always fruited for me in other years, though, and it did it in one season--from 2-foot offshoot to fruit in about 7 months.  That said, I lived in a very hot, humid climate where there was plenty of heat, day and night--something bananas love.  My suggestion in your Pacific climate is to plant on the south side of a reflective surface, like a white stucco house or fence.  The southeast corner of a building is the ideal location for gathering heat and sheltering the plant from wind.

I experimented with Orinoco, which grows like a weed on the Gulf Coast.  Grows fast, is tough and fruits.  But...the fruits are starchy and seedy.  Mysore is supposed to be tasty.
Doreen Howard