nafex - Re: [NAFEX] kiwi pruning

  • From: joanrrosenberg@aol.com
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] kiwi pruning
  • Date: Fri, 03 Feb 2006 14:10:26 -0500

 I have kiwi also, the common type require a male and female to produce fruit, and mine took 8 years to get old enough to bear.

Now they have taken over my fence and I have to prune them too.

When you do, you lose all the fruit bearing ends.  In your case, you might not have them yet. But I do, and when I prune the buggers, there is no fruit until the long vine ends regrow.

I need to move the vines where I can let them reach like grapes.  So I will be digging this spring.  They were not trellised, they just grew.  I should have trellised, but they were so small for so long, I ignored them.  It wasn't until the last 2 years that they took off in size.

Had I been smart, I would have moved them long ago.  But I had given up on their doing anything because they were small.  By the time they had taken off, they had woven into the fence.  More work for me.  And a lesson learned.