nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Jujube in a pot; shy jujube production

  • From: "MARIE ASHTON" <bwoodtx@verizon.net>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Jujube in a pot; shy jujube production
  • Date: Mon, 09 Jan 2006 19:26:01 -0600

Korea has a real problem with Jujubes and a disease called witches broom. We do not have that problem here in the USA but it may be one reason that they were growing jujubes in pots. The variety they were growing may have been one of the dwarf cultivars such as our Honey Jar or SO.
As to pollination of jujubes, there has been some research which shows that although the blooms are open for several days they are only open to pollination for a few hours. There has been some research showing also that some cultivars are receptive in the mornings and some are receptive in the afternoons. There are also known varieties that are self-fertile such Leon Burk and Honey Jar. We do know that Sherwood will bear better if it goes through a very cold, dry winter so chill has a bearing on some varieties. So the answer, is that there are many factors in play with jujubes. The Chinese in various areas of China have adapted their variety of jujube to their specific area over several thousand years; making the answer to pollination and fruiting somewhat of a problem in the USA. They now have over 700 varieties in China, each suited for a specific area and purpose. We do not know what cultivars do best where in the various parts of our country, it is just now being worked out by people like NAFEX'ers.
There is something else I would like to make a note of, that is that the jujube fruit do really taste like a date when dried on the tree. But that only happens when they are grown in a dry area, if they are grown in a humid area or an area with heavy fall rains, they will rot before they dry.
There is one other thing and that is that the Chinese in some areas with some varieties "girdle" their trees for better production. So it may be possible that by cutting on or grafting on other varieties that a tree will produce better, this needs to be tested.
For those of you that want a little more information on varieties and history of jujubes you can go to my website www.oakcreekorchard.com  . I am not trying to sell anything just provide information.
Regards
Richard Ashton
Brownwood, Texas