nafex - [NAFEX] Persimmon "Kitch"

  • From: "Bassem Samaan" <bassem@gardener.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Persimmon "Kitch"
  • Date: Fri, 06 Jan 2006 13:47:41 -0500

Is anyone familiar with this variety of american persimmon? it's named "kitch" It's very late usually starts ripenning in november... yesterday I visited a friend and we picked dried fruit off of it.. I realy enjoyed the fruits...They are sweet and has a nice texture.  I've never picked persimmons in january. With other varieties usually the fruits fall to the ground and really mushy... it's not the case with this tree the fruits are still sticking to the tree. The fruit is about 1.5" long... resembling prunes or dates in color and texture.. and are seedless. I'm guessing since it's seedless it's self-fertile.. Anyone else has this persimmon

I had to take some photos.. I posted them on this link. http://photobucket.com/albums/b172/Bassgarden/  .

Bass samaan

zone 6, PA