nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Fig varieties

  • From: "Bassem Samaan" <bassem@gardener.com>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Fig varieties
  • Date: Sun, 01 Jan 2006 23:15:59 -0500

Lisa, The recommended fig for the PNW would be Desert King since it will ripen in a cool summer... but since you have hot summers.. just any fig will do well..

The best figs I've had was probably black mission, Kadota, and Gelbun a few others... One thing to consider is that flavours vary from climate to climate even if it's the same variety. Here in the northeast we look for early ripenning, and some figs if over watered the fig wil sour and lose the sugary flavour. I"m testing about 30 different varieties in our climate.. and selecting the best for the northeast.Hardy chicago ripens very early, and it's on the top of the list for early ripenning, but flavour isn't the best. Figs will thrive in dry summers and sunny climates.

Bassem

Bethlehem, pa, Zone 6