nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Book suggestions

  • From: Lucky Pittman <lucky.pittman@murraystate.edu>
  • To: breen@fedcoseeds.com, North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Book suggestions
  • Date: Wed, 28 Dec 2005 08:53:01 -0600

At 09:56 PM 12/27/2005, Heron wrote:
Trees of the Northern United States and Canada by John Laird Farrar.

Thanks for the heads-up on that one, Heron.

Another one that I really like is Native Trees for North American Landscapes, from my friend Guy Sternberg at Starhill Forest Arboretum ( http://www.starhillforest.com/ )- great photos!
I gave myself this one for Christmas - or my birthday - last year.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0881926078/002-5141304-4829644?v=glance&n=283155

And, of course, then there's the 'Bible' of woody landscape plants, Dr. Mike Dirr's Manual of Woody Landscape Plants
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0875637957/002-5141304-4829644?v=glance&n=283155
Nice line drawings, and chock full of info on ID, cultivars/selections, propagation, advantages/disadvantages, etc.

And, for oak enthusiasts, a must-have is Lamb's Oaks of North America - good descriptions, discussions of distribution & ecology for each species, B&W photos of salient features(bark, twigs, leaves, acorns, etc.)
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0879611375/qid=1135781437/sr=2-1/ref=pd_bbs_b_2_1/002-5141304-4829644?s=books&v=glance&n=283155

Lucky Pittman
USDA Cold Zone 6
AHS Heat Zone 7