nafex - [NAFEX] Prunning Raspberry

  • From: "Bassem Samaan" <bassem@gardener.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Prunning Raspberry
  • Date: Sat, 24 Dec 2005 12:41:02 -0500

I grow an early raspberry variety, It bears in june, and sometimes it bears a light crop in late sumemr. (Not sure of the name). I'm not sure how to properly prune raspberry, I usually pull out the dead canes in early spring. The bush gets really long in the summer. I've heard of people cutting it down in spring so the bushes don't grow too long.

Can that be done with an early bearing variety? Or should I wait until after fruiting to cut them down to the ground?

Thanks

Bass Samaan

zone 6, Bethlehem, Pa