nafex - [NAFEX] Sam's Seascape Strawberries

  • From: Don Yellman <don.yellman@webformation.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Sam's Seascape Strawberries
  • Date: Tue, 20 Dec 2005 11:43:04 -0500

Sam:

I have only grown dayneutral strawberries two or three times over the years,
and have never attempted transplant to a new bed, but my guess on your
problem with the Seascapes is timing.

If you had transplanted them to their new bed in fall instead of mulching them, they
might have had time to go through their growth cycle in a normal fashion. Transplant
the following spring did not allow them enough time to become accomodated and continue
their normal cycle, especially if the plants were already beginning to bud or leaf out
at transplant time. By the time they were able to adjust from transplant shock and
begin to form berries, it was already too late, and those few blossoms that formed may
also have suffered from poor pollination, accounting for the small size and distorted
shapes. If I am right -- as occasionally happens -- they should resume their normal
growth and production patterns next spring, assuming you don't try to transplant them
again. But if they have filled in the bed, I would thin them to at least 6 inches
apart, and give them a little high "P" fertilizer.

When I grew the most successful of the few dayneutrals I have tried, which
was Selva, I left the bed in place for 4 years, thinning out the older plants
each spring. They continued to produce well for three seasons, petering out
a little only in year 4, at which time I took them out since I was already
growing Junebearers in another bed.

Don Yellman, Great Falls, VA

  • [NAFEX] Sam's Seascape Strawberries, Don Yellman, 12/20/2005