nafex - Re: [NAFEX] NAFEX

  • From: John Barbowski <jbarbowski@gmail.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] NAFEX
  • Date: Mon, 19 Dec 2005 17:52:16 -0500

HI Jim,

Yes, I used the term loosely. (I like aliterations). I think of a tree as single stemmed entity. A bush to me encompasses many multi stemmed things that don't get too big, my catch-all for Boysenberry. My plant also developes long runners that, according to the Nursery, needs winter protection in my area. The same Nursery said that Black Satin Blackberry "may require protection in cold winters".

As for my zone, I went back to AG Canada for my Thornhill locations. They have a version that say my area is in Can Zone 5B, with Toronto, just south of me in 6A (Lake effect no doubt)

1st site: http://sis.agr.gc.ca/cansis/nsdb/climate/hardiness/intro.html

another site:  http://atlas.gc.ca/site/english/maps/environment/land/planthardi

I tried to look at the USDA image that you identified, but it is hard to decipher. I cannot enlarge it enough. My area appears to be 5A, with 5B being by the lake. According to the background info for the USDA, even though there have been attempts to standardize across N Am, there are minor variances. As the French would say: "Vive le difference!" - however subtle it might be.

In a normal winter, we will hit -20 to -25C (-4 to -13F) for a short time. We've already been down to -19C (-3F) a couple of days ago.

jb