nafex - Re: [NAFEX] bark damage-- recap.

  • From: "tanis cuff" <tanistanis@hotmail.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] bark damage-- recap.
  • Date: Sun, 11 Dec 2005 15:27:11 +0000

Graet info, HB, but I had arboriculture classes too, and I don't see the memory trick you describe as being easier than "Phlo-up" & "xy-down". (One way being wrong, but fortunately both being forgettable.)

For those who would remember these, and in many years of using arboriculture principles I've never used these terms other than here and in classrooms, how about this: When you dig thru the bark, you hit the phloem before the xylem. This works whether you alphabetize the printed words or their phonetics. I for one have always been able to remember which is upward transport & which is downward -- THAT makes sense!

Also good to remember is at **** below. Best not to cause injury, including pruning, "when leaves are forming or falling."