nafex - [NAFEX] shot gravel as an ingredient in growing medium for pots and containers

  • From: "Alan S." <yarrylo@hotmail.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] shot gravel as an ingredient in growing medium for pots and containers
  • Date: Sat, 10 Dec 2005 23:07:00 +0000

On account of a suggestion by a local nurseryman(based I guess on purely theoretical grounds because he hasn't used it himself) this fall I used a mixture of shot gravel, humus and peat moss in a 1:1:2 volume ratio respectively for repotting some container trees (citrus, avocado and fig) as well as potting some one year old seedlings for later bench grafting. Shot gravel is the finest commercially available gravel I could find, averages about the size of an eraser head, and so smaller than the pea gravel which is commonly available at garden centers.I obtained it from a building supply house which had dredged it from a nearby riverbed. I am using it as a substitute for perlite over which it has the advantages of greater weight and stability to guard against blowovers as well as lower cost for larger projects $16/ton. I am also hoping it to be superior to shredded conifer barks (which are likewise used in growing media to promote drainage and increase aeration but quickly degrade) for long term applications.I have no observations yet to report but would be very interested to hear if anyone has used this or similar material in their growing media.
Alan Stein
Pittsburgh,pa
zone 6