nafex - [NAFEX] Kaki & seed virus

  • From: Jwlehman@aol.com
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Kaki & seed virus
  • Date: Wed, 7 Dec 2005 11:35:41 EST

In a message dated 12/7/2005 8:15:00 AM US Eastern Standard Time, fidleir@yahoo.com writes:

My understanding is that plant viruses aren't passed from mother to seed.

The Prunus Sharka virus is passed on through seed of all Prunus species that it infects except P. cerasus, sour cherry. That is why APHIS doesn't allow Prunus seed into this country, except P. cerasus.

However, I'd think you are right about kaki as that can be brought in with the proper import permits, Phytosanitary Cert. and APHIS inspection upon entry before released to the importer for growing.

Jerry

  • [NAFEX] Kaki & seed virus, Jwlehman, 12/07/2005