nafex - [NAFEX] Hardy Chicago Fig

  • From: Jim Fruth <jfruth@uslink.net>
  • To: <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Hardy Chicago Fig
  • Date: Fri, 25 Nov 2005 07:52:13 -0600

I grew the hardy Chicago Fig beside my septic tank for several years.
Whatever wasn't heavily mulched over Winter froze off. It produced green
fruit every year but the fruit never ripened. After a few years, I learned
that it grew the same whether I mulched it or not. Then I tried growing it
in a pot but every time I moved it from outside to inside, it went into
shock dropping all of its fruit and leaves. When I got disgusted with
playing with it, I gave it to a friend who has a year-around greenhouse.
Steve, what does the word "breba" (as in breba crop, below) mean?
--

Jim Fruth
Brambleberry Farm

Has anyone tried the Chicago Hardy outside in zone 3 or 4?

Since all these produce most or all their crop quite late, I could probably
use a fig that produces a consistent and large breba crop to extend the
season

What potted fig would you recommend that offers a good breba crop? The few
breba PN's and Green Ischia's I get every summer are great but like any
greedy NAFEXer I'd like more. Are there other figs that folks have
experience with in pots that they'd recommend? Naturally great flavor is
important, but I'd be interested in hearing about figs to avoid, too. For
example, I tried Celeste (which clone, God knows) and left it outside to die
years ago because I couldn't get it to hold fruits until they were ripe.
Thanks.

Steve Herje, Lone Rock, WI USDA zone 3 (with pretty good summer heat)

  • [NAFEX] Hardy Chicago Fig, Jim Fruth, 11/25/2005