nafex - [NAFEX] Summer Topping of Apple Trees

  • From: Jim Fruth <jfruth@uslink.net>
  • To: <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Summer Topping of Apple Trees
  • Date: Wed, 23 Nov 2005 08:10:59 -0600

Earlier this year, 'Summer Topping of Apple Trees' was a subject of
discussion. Like others had done, I also had topped my apple trees in early
Spring only to have them 'grow hair', so to speak. I did not wish to do
that again so I took up the Summer topping suggestion. It worked. No
abnormal growth. New growth sprouted or grew as though the trees hadn't
been topped at all. If timing makes a difference, I topped my trees when
the fruit was about 3/4" in diameter. I was installing zip-lock bags and,
when I realized that I couldn't reach the highest fruits, I decided it was a
good time to top the trees.
--

Jim Fruth
Brambleberry Farm