nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Pawpaw seed--floaters and sinkers

  • From: "Lon J. Rombough" <lonrom@hevanet.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Pawpaw seed--floaters and sinkers
  • Date: Mon, 14 Nov 2005 15:42:03 -0800

On a few occasions I've found that some larger seeds, from slightly smaller than pawpaw, will float even though they are viable. For some reason, the floaters have a condition in which the seed halves pull apart inside the seed coat, leaving a space between them that acts like an air bubble, so that the seed floats even though it's perfectly able to grow. It's not really obvious by the outward appearance of the seed, though. It appears that the seed developed under stress, which either caused the deformation, or prevented the seed halves from quite filling out all the way. I have no proof, only observation.
-Lon Rombough