nafex - Re: [NAFEX] drying blueberries

  • From: "Jim Notkey" <nottke1@earthlink.net>
  • To: "ec_pasour@ncsu.edu, North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] drying blueberries
  • Date: Thu, 27 Oct 2005 16:04:51 -0400

We dry ours in a forced hot air dryer.
If you blanch them very quickly in boiling water, or pour boiling water
through them in a collander, the surface wax is disrupted and they shrink
like grapes-to-raisins.
We prefer to put them on the dryer as-picked - they dehydrate but maintain
most of their fresh fruit shape and color.
Dehydrated berries are great for baking, adding to blueberry cobbler or pie
to absorb liquid and intensify flavor, or adding to trail mx.
Jim Nottke

used to change other email options):