nafex - [NAFEX] fruit yield estimates

  • From: sam bucus <samm_bucus@yahoo.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] fruit yield estimates
  • Date: Sun, 16 Oct 2005 20:23:23 -0700 (PDT)

hello,

i am trying to determine a way to ballpark fruit yields for the planning of an orchard and small fruit field. it will be in northern wisconsin, zone 4, sandy soil and ph about 4.5. i know that no one can give me exact yield amounts as they vary, and i know that i will have to amend the soil for many plants, but i am trying to get a ballpark so i can make a decision on planting sizes for the first establishments. i have searched the internet, and still am, but can only get yields for some varieties of some plants (maybe someone could point me in the right direction for yield info on line?). also my county extension agent has been some help, but i need i would love some more information.

the plants i will be planting are apples (standard sized dessert and cider), pears, plums, blueberries, raspberries and strawberries. the largest plantings would be apples and blueberries. the blueberries may go to an acre, but right now i am guessing a 1/4 acre, all for direct marketing locally/value adding in the kitchen. most other plantings will be a 1/4 acre or less, atleast at first.

also, concerning blueberries, can anyone fill me in on irrigation differences between the very lowbush and more "improved" halfhigh plants? i know the yield would be less on the lowbush, but it may be worth it for me if they don't need irrigation. do they still need as much irrigation as the halfhighs? does anyone grow them that can comment on them (the very lowbush varieties)? is it really a lot more work to harvest them?

if anyone could provide some info or point me in the right direction online, that would be very appreciated.

thanks,

andy