nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Grafting Pyrus Ussurensis

  • From: "Dave Griffin" <griffingardens@earthlink.net>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Grafting Pyrus Ussurensis
  • Date: Thu, 13 Oct 2005 22:58:58 -0500

John,

I've never done this with pure P.u. but the OHxF rootstocks work well for the pears that have P.u. in their heritage so I would think it would work fine. I haven't tried Pyro and didn't know it was available as an ungrafted rootstock. I am generally dissatisfied with P.u. seedlings for rootstocks as they seem to be highly variable and/or the various cultivars are variably compatible on them. Many of my grafts on P.u. seedlings runt out and that includes copies of the same cultivar from scionwood taken from the same tree and grafted onto same lot seedlings.

Dave