nafex - [NAFEX] Unusual Walnut...two in a husk

  • From: bill dality <namtoo@yahoo.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Unusual Walnut...two in a husk
  • Date: Tue, 11 Oct 2005 10:12:40 -0700 (PDT)

Never seen this before  Just like chestnuts.Keep an eye on the branch it came from to see if it does the same thing next year. May be a  sport/mutant.

Jwlehman@aol.com wrote:
Hello,

I've not seen it before. Was picking up nuts today under my Vanderkleed Buarthian walnut tree. This is believed to be a butternut-heartnut-carpathian, 3 way hybrid.  Noticed several that were flat on one side so started looking for two in a husk. Found one and here is a picture of it.

How common is this with Carpathian?

Jerry