nafex - Re: [NAFEX] persimmon recipes

  • From: "Brungardt, Sam" <Sam.Brungardt@state.mn.us>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] persimmon recipes
  • Date: Wed, 28 Sep 2005 16:07:28 -0500

Title: Message
Here are some likely sources of good persimmon recipes:

The Persimmon Cookbook at http://members.aol.com/BLaneKY/persimm.htm has a number of recipes that read very good.

Another good collection of recipes is at http://recipes.epicurean.com/asc_results.jsp?title=Persimmon

Three persimmon pudding recipes that won first prize at the Mitchell, Ind., Persimmon Festival are at http://www.mitchell-indiana.org/pers_fes/2005/fest_ppud.htm

Finally, Dave Wilson nursery has a collection of recipes using kaki, or oriental persimmons, at http://www.davewilson.com/persimmons.pdf

I suggest you try native persimmons like those you've been lucky enough to have been offered in any recipe in which the persimmons are pureed and then cooked.  I say this because really ripe native persimmons are VERY soft and probably not a good choice in a recipe
in which the fruit is not cooked.  -- Sam Brungardt, St. Paul, Minn.