nafex - Re: [NAFEX] 'Centennial' pedigree

  • From: "Biz Storms" <biz.storms@sympatico.ca>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] 'Centennial' pedigree
  • Date: Thu, 8 Sep 2005 21:55:07 -0400

The Centennial pedigree is identified in the Southmeadow online catalogue as a Wealthy and Dolgo Crab cross, introduced in 1957, planted at Mount Vernon, and named Centennial in honour of the centennial of the State of Minnesota's admission to the Union in 1858. It originated at the Minnesota Agricultural Breeding Farm.

Ours fruited for the first time this summer, and it was really quite tasty. The only drawback was that it turned mealy quite quickly, but that may have had something to do with the extreme heat and lack of rain.

Cheers, Bizmark. Zone 5, Creemore, Ontario.

----- Original Message ----- From: "tanis cuff" <tanistanis@hotmail.com>