nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Cox's Orange Pippin

  • From: bruce <rural@inebraska.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Cox's Orange Pippin
  • Date: Sat, 27 Aug 2005 17:08:15 -0500

"Some years back I read about efforts at some research station in
England doing extensive work on finding a Cox which was self fruitful (exact
reasons escape me now) and I think they did.  However I don't know what
became of it."

They did find a self-fruitful cox. It's called Queen Cox. I've got one from Raintree that's in it's second year. On M26 rootstock.

Here's what Raintree says in its catalog:

A new self fertile clone. It has the flavor, mellow aftertaste and aroma of the famed Cox's Orange Pippin. This clone, released in England in 1973, sets big crops of delicous fruit each year, without a pollinator. This past summer in England this clone set bumper crops when fruit set was poor on other apples including other Cox type apples. The fruit of Queen Cox is larger and the tree more disease resistant than Cox's Orange Pippin. Fruit ripens in mid September...

bruce in NE

  • Re: [NAFEX] Cox's Orange Pippin, bruce, 08/27/2005