nafex - [NAFEX] Picked my last Montmorency cherries today.

  • From: "Rodney Eveland" <reveland@collinscom.net>
  • To: <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Picked my last Montmorency cherries today.
  • Date: Wed, 24 Aug 2005 22:29:19 -0600

We have picked 14 two quart bags of cherries this year and left plenty
for the robins. Started picking on the 26th of July. Those were quite
tart so we waited a week and picked all but the ones we picked today.
Today's pickings made very tasty cherry bars. I was up in Miles City
Montana around the first of the month and they had an article about
cherries on the front page of the newspaper. I drove to the address
listed (7th and Palmer) and the owner had several Monties on K-Mart
rootstock which is the same rootstock mine is on. I assume it's
Mazzard as we have very heavy clay soil and it is wonderful (our best
fruit tree). His trees are only about 7 feet tall but he said he got
lots of cherries. Miles City gets pretty cold but the last 5 years
have been relatively mild. I will look around Glendive and Sidney, Mt.
when I get a chance as they are usually much colder. My Reliance peach
has 5 peaches, but the birds are already at them and Stanley plum has
a small crop. The apple trees have 1-3 dozen apples each, but the
birds are into them also. Nothing on my Black Gold cherry but it's
alive and that's a plus. Not bad considering the heavy late frosts
that they all survived.

Rodney in Northeast Wy.

  • [NAFEX] Picked my last Montmorency cherries today., Rodney Eveland, 08/24/2005