nafex - [NAFEX] APPLES LIKE WINE

  • From: "Bruce Hansen" <brucedhansen@sbcglobal.net>
  • To: "NAFEX" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] APPLES LIKE WINE
  • Date: Tue, 16 Aug 2005 08:27:03 -0400

Good Morning:

The summer issue of Pomona has an article by Tom Cox. Tom writes from Idaho
and states "Most notably, I have found that apples, like wine vintages, vary
greatly from year to year even if taken from the same orchards, indeed the
same trees - moreover, that the same varieties, growing just a few miles
apart but under different soil, air, drainage, or exposure conditions, may
vary widely too." He then goes on to explain his taste testing results. It
is a fine article and worthy of reading. I have found the same results at
the Apple Branch and when I ponder the subject, it is sensible. Apples
produced by commercial orchards and chemically treated in storage usually,
taste the same season after season but yeoman apples follow the guide of the
gods in nature as Tom pointes out. It is the way of the world and makes life
more mysterious and interesting.

Bruce
NAFEX Member
Zone 5, Michigan

  • [NAFEX] APPLES LIKE WINE, Bruce Hansen, 08/16/2005