nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Peach trees

  • From: "Stephen Sadler" <Docshiva@Docshiva.org>
  • To: "'North American Fruit Explorers'" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Peach trees
  • Date: Sat, 13 Aug 2005 18:41:48 -0700

You should have sprayed a sulfur-containing organic spray at the pink stage (just before petal fall) and two other applications at one week intervals.  Polysul is one brand, and you can follow the complete directions and recommendations that come with.  It doesn’t keep through the next season, so buy a small quantity.  Combining the sulfur spray with Surround seems to give better control of brown rot, and Surround should help some with plum curculio.  That’s the pest that may prevent you from producing organic peaches.

You can use Safer’s organic fungicide, as well as Serenade, right up to harvest.  Serenade is compatible with sulfur and copper/sulfur sprays.  In theory, Safer’s should give you short-term help with the brown rot, and Serenade should help inoculate your trees, fighting the present infection and making future infection less virulent.  Neem can also be added to either.  I can’t say whether Neem, Serenade, or sulfur will give you the best control, but you have options.  Remember to start spraying before petal fall next season.

Very healthy soil, a good balance of beneficial organisms, and disease-resistance plants are the backbone to organic fruit production.  Creating such a favorable ‘balance of nature’ can take years, and you still need to apply controls sometimes.  I have managed to grow apples spray-free, but peaches can be even more difficult.  Do give your plants support by using organic fertilizer sprays such as kelp, planting sub-clovers, and keeping tree litter picked up.  If your trees are near your garden supplement your garden soil with compost, and till your spent garden plants into the soil.  Plant beneficial-attracting plants in, or as, your border.  But these are general steps to improve the garden’s overall health, not for acute problems like the brown rot you have now.  Do follow a spray program if you want to produce peaches.

Stephen Sadler, Ph.D.

USDA 9, AHS heat zone 8,

Sacramento CA - Mediterranean climate