nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Maypop

  • From: Geoffrey Tolle <Gtolle0709@wowway.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Maypop
  • Date: Tue, 09 Aug 2005 21:32:05 -0400

Lon,

I'm not sure how good my maypops are (selection is one of the things I'd like to work on when I get some land). I have two in my yard that are quite prolific. The taste is fine (though they only last about a week on the shelf once picked) and they set fruit every two feet or so along the vine. They tend to mature a bit late in the Fall for Central Ohio but a fair number of fruit do mature each year. Since I'm at what is generally claimed to be the upper zone limit for maypops, I'm sure that's part of the problem. They have shown no problems what-so-ever making it through the last four or five Winters. My bumblebees are in love with them and probably contribute greatly to their fruit setting. If you want seed and/or root just put me on your list and remind me later in the year.

Geoffrey Tolle
Columbus, Ohio

Lon J. Rombough wrote:

I've got a very nice maypop, but lost the companion for it, which means I have no pollinator. So it blooms but never sets.
If anyone has good ones available, I'd like to get either some seed or a few root pieces next winter.
-Lon Rombough