nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Mason Bees or wasps

  • From: rob hamilton <lostman_amiga@yahoo.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Mason Bees or wasps
  • Date: Tue, 2 Aug 2005 09:47:25 -0700 (PDT)

I would agree with this conclusion as well.

As an experiment, I took some scrap deck post material
and drilled a series of holes in rows from 1/8 to
5/16th bit size. I actually did this to see if there
were any other solitary bees around than the mason
bees that I had purchased. I put these posts out by my
bed room window after the mason bees had finished. I
was surprised by the array of bees, wasps (mostly
wasps), parasitic wasps that used the various hole
sizes; and how quickly the holes were filling up. Some
these smaller holes are covered with a sap (like pine
resin).

Actually, the insect that gathered this sap is very
small and seems more like bee than a wasp. I think
next year I will start taking notes on some of these
insects.

I do believe some of these wasps helped me in the
pollination of my jujube trees, which for some reason
the bees for the most part seem to ignore

This really is fascinating project and easy to do. A
great science project for the kids. I may try to write
an article after the season is over on how I made
these little houses and what I found out.

Robert