nafex - [NAFEX] cherry seed maturity

  • From: Diane Whitehead <voltaire@islandnet.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] cherry seed maturity
  • Date: Sun, 10 Jul 2005 13:51:09 -0700

I promised to send someone lots of sweet cherry seeds this year so he can get a couple of survivors in his cold climate.

Normally I am giving buckets of cherries to everyone I know, but this year, we have a crow's nest and the trees are being systematically stripped of cherries as soon as they show a blush of red, long before they are ripe enough for us. We have netted one branch, but those hundred or so cherries may be the only ones we get to eat this year. Many of the unripe cherries are littering the ground - probably dropped by squirrels as the crows seem to pick carefully. I am wondering if those seeds will be mature enough for germination.

--
Diane Whitehead Victoria, British Columbia, Canada
maritime zone 8