nafex - [NAFEX] loss of juvenile traits

  • From: "kieran or donna" <redherring@tnaccess.com>
  • To: <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] loss of juvenile traits
  • Date: Fri, 8 Jul 2005 22:48:15 -0500

that there is a significant problem with
'loss of juvenile traits' - particularly the desirable rapid, upright
growth habit when topworking scions from an older mature tree onto
seedling rootstocks

Lucky,
This comment is EXTREMELY amusing to me, as I have spent years
explaining to people the importance of NOT planting seedling citrus or
grafting from young trees or from low vigorous branches. Such trees grow
straight up and exhibit delayed and sparse production. If you bud from
mature trees you get nice low spreading trees that kick into production
early. So think before you graft guys, do you want timber or fruit/nut
production? Choose your scions carefully. Donna
P.S. I have a book which says that old roses (remember roses are in the
same family as apples and similar enough to be graft compatible, at least
for a few years. Ring spot virus was transmitted to roses through grafting
to apples) will repeat poorly if budded from a fast growing cane. Buds from
an older cane that has bloomed in the past will produce a plant that blooms
much better. If you think about it, a whole row of trees of the same
variety won't look exactly the same. In fact, one volume of THE CITRUS
INDUSTRY shows leaves taken from 27 different navel orange trees (in a
single grove) in which the whole tree came from a single bud mutation. They
stressed the importance of choosing budwood carefully, and avoiding cutting
from branches that don't fit the norm.

  • [NAFEX] loss of juvenile traits, kieran or donna, 07/08/2005