nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Sour cherry trees

  • From: "kieran or donna" <redherring@tnaccess.com>
  • To: <Jwlehman@aol.com>
  • Cc: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Sour cherry trees
  • Date: Fri, 8 Jul 2005 09:57:03 -0500

Jerry,  The nice thing about finding old local trees is that it's not the crap shoot you go through with buying trees.  You know they aren't susceptible to your local conditions, and you get to sample the fruit before you even bring home the scions or sprouts.   The price is certainly right, and when you consider that you'll probably have close to 100% success compared to the maybe 1 in 2 if you have done your homework on bought trees... less than that if you haven't.
    I HAVE screwed up before.  I grafted off an unusually successful Golden Delicious tree in town, and a couple of years later stopped by (easy to do on a bike) to have a look in midsummer.  We were in a droughty year, and I noted that there was a sort of band of CAR on each young branch.... as if it had gotten a really bad case during a brief wet spell.  I turned and looked 360 degrees... not a cedar in sight.  I thought of our property with wall to wall cedars and sighed.  Gave the tree to a friend in town.  Only the rarity of cedars in town allowed the tree to grow and ripen it's fruit so well.  In summer I can ID GD trees at 55 mph by their canary yellow color.    Donna

  • Re: [NAFEX] Sour cherry trees, kieran or donna, 07/08/2005