nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Alternate use for best keeping apples/ potato storage

  • From: "Erdman, Jim" <ErdmanJ@uwstout.edu>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Alternate use for best keeping apples/ potato storage
  • Date: Fri, 8 Jul 2005 08:24:03 -0500

Jim Fruth wrote:
> I use my best keeping apples to keep my potatoes from sprouting over
>winter in the root cellar. Two to three apples per bushel of potatoes works
>excellent. Apples need to be removed as they spoil. The down-side is that,
>in order to use the potatoes for the next season's seed potatoes, the apples
>need to be removed, and the potatoes be brought into open air, six weeks
>before planting time or the potatoes won't sprout/grow.

I'll have to try that. My NW Greenings kept long enough that they would have
worked well this year, and I usually have more of them than I can deal with.
This year we were eating new potatoes from the garden before the last of the
2004 potatoes were no longer good enough to eat. We grow 25 to 30 varieties
of potatoes, some of which we have been raising from our own seed potatoes
for 20 to 25 years. I could tell stories about dealing with 20 varieties of
potatoes while moving to a new job in the spring. We select our seed
potatoes each fall from the best plants when digging potatoes , and then
store them seperately from our "eating" potatoes.

Jim Erdman, in Menomonie, WI

  • Re: [NAFEX] Alternate use for best keeping apples/ potato storage, Erdman, Jim, 07/08/2005