nafex - [NAFEX] Yellow Transparent and Kidd's Orange Red

  • From: Richard Moyer <ramoyer@gmail.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Yellow Transparent and Kidd's Orange Red
  • Date: Thu, 7 Jul 2005 21:51:11 -0400

Charlie wrote:
A neighbor with a yellow transparant has allowed me to pick their
transparant apples that grew with no spraying! Kidd's Orange-Red is
an apple said by some to be among the less susceptible to pests -
anyone have experience with that apple?
Charlie Paradise z5/Mass

Here in East Tenn, Yellow Transparent is easy to find, many people
have trees with nothing done to them, and one can select unblemished
fruit for apple sauce. We agree with Lee Calhoun that Carolina Red
June is the first half-decent eating apple (at least among heirlooms).

As for Kidd's Orange-Red, as long as we stay out of the 90s during
ripening, this is our best eating summer apple (mid-August). Last
year some stored well into December, allowing more traditional keepers
to last longer into spring. So we topworked one tree with Kidd's
Orange this spring, and grafted another seedling with Kidd's Orange,
at the request of my kids who can't get enough of this one.

Kidd's Orange is quite resistant to fireblight in this terrible blight
year, and is a reliable cropper without spraying.

Richard Moyer
East Tennessee, Zone 6, 1800'

  • [NAFEX] Yellow Transparent and Kidd's Orange Red, Richard Moyer, 07/07/2005