nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Dying Montmorency

  • From: "Mark Lee" <markl@nytec.com>
  • To: "'North American Fruit Explorers'" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Dying Montmorency
  • Date: Thu, 7 Jul 2005 10:05:58 -0700

I have a 30 year old Montmorency tree. It bears a good crop every year.
10 years ago it started to slow down, and the cherries it bore were
getting too high to safely pick. I decided to try and experiment to
bring it back into production. In the spring, I cut off all of its
branches leaving only the trunk and a few foot-long stubs where the main
branches were. Two seasons later it started to produce decent crops
again, and hasn't stopped since. I love this tree. I don't need to do
anything to it. No spraying, no watering, not even any fertilizer. The
fruit is pest free, and the birds leave it alone. I wish my apple trees
were so easy.
-Mark Lee, Seattle, zone 8a